Friday, March 14, 2008

Trailer Watch: The Summer Movies Are Coming


By Katey Rich

Whenever I heard people refer to ShoWest as "the unofficial start of the summer movie season," I always thought it was crazy-- it's still March, guys! Turns out, though, ShoWest really is the point at which those summer blockbusters start getting itchy feet. In Vegas they've been shown deluxe versions of a bevy of trailers, all of which are now available on the Internet. And suddenly, people who had otherwise never even thought about Pineapple Express are ready to see James Franco play a stoner, and those of us who can't tell The Hulk and Hellboy apart are anxious for the Hulk vs. The Abomination smackdown.



Since it's Friday afternoon and there hasn't been much news to speak of all week, I figure it's about time to catch up on some of these trailers. The wonderful thing is, most of them are spectacular. Maybe not quite as chill-inducing as the new Indiana Jones one, but each preview makes me more and more excited for the summer movie season to come. Yeah, I'm still wearing my winter coat, but I'm stocking up on SnoCaps and popcorn, getting ready for that summertime air-conditioned movie theatre to whisk me away.



Walle2



WALL-E. Unfortunately the best of the bunch is not embeddable-- at least, from what I can tell-- but you can find the new, expanded, WALL-E trailer here. You're going to be hearing a lot more from me about WALL-E before it comes out in June, but suffice it to say this trailer only upped the ante for me. If this doesn't turn out to be one of my favorites of the year, I will be utterly shocked.



THE INCREDIBLE HULK. The summer movie I knew perhaps the least about, but now am getting excited to see. Edward Norton breaking out of his art-house mold? Tim Roth as a giant monster? Who could turn this down?





SPEED RACER. It's hard to tell if the candy-colored, fast-paced style of Speed Racer will be overwhelming on the big screen, but in trailer form, it's glorious. The action seems to be just the right combination of silly and dramatic, and Emile Hirsch is somehow remaining a real actor in the midst of all this fantasy. This one's definitely a must-see.





PINEAPPLE EXPRESS. Wait, what? Is it about fruit smugglers? A train full of pineapples? No, no, silly. It's another stoner comedy from the brilliant fountainhead of Judd Apatow, but this time it's directed by David Gordon Green, an indie stalwart known for his melancholy, arty movies. It sounds like a strange combination, but the trailer is so funny, and so relentlessly silly, that it's impossible not to like it. It's absent the adolescent bravado of Superbad, but still shares that movie's love of tangents and one-liners. See for yourself!





No comments:

Post a Comment